I love to re-use free containers in fact I did a whole post about peanut butter jars! Here are a few of my reusable container ideas:
- Deli lunch meat in "zip lock" containers- self explanatory
- Crystal light (generic of course) - used for small craft items, Coffee pods, filled with water and make large ice blocks for drinks, paint cups for kids
- Frosting tubs, GV Marshmallow cream, yogurt, Sour cream- same as above and also- cut small cross slits in the lid for a lidded cup the kids can take anywhere without your fearing they are lost just add a straw! Also wonderful for homemade yogurt
- Large Pickle jars and the large animal cracker jars sold at Wal-mart become storage for rice, flour etc.
- Large Butter tubs- to fill with soup to freeze. I can label the top with a sharpie and just throw it out or give it away to a sick friend. Sometimes I even mark through and rewrite again! I also keep two or three around to send leftovers home with people so they don't have to be worried about returning the container.
- I use glass jars for 1 thing only- grease disposal! I usually keep one in the fridge. with bad -trash grease from chicken, meat or burgers. I store it in the fridge until it is full then seal and throw away. I use glass because you can add warm grease and I keep it refrigerated because I don't want to grow anything in it.
- I use cereal, wax bags as freezer wrappers when I make and freeze hamburger patties.
- I also used (when I had babies) baby food jars to organize small screws and nails in the garage. nail or screw the lid to the bottom of a shelf and then fill jar and screw to the lids. You can modify this by using any jar you want to.