My Menu for the week of June 4-10, as usual the bold items' recipes will follow the menu :) I am starting something new this week by adding snacks to my menu:) Depending on our day my kids usually have a before lunch snack and a late lunch or a early lunch and afternoon snack. In an effort to make sure that their daily food is balanced and still be frugal. I am trying to have preplanned snacks. Hopefully this will also help keep the daily brain strain away when they start with the ,"What can we eat for snack question!"
B=Breakfast, L= Lunch,D=dinner and S=Snack
Be sure to visit I'm and Organizing Junkie for more menu ideas!
Mon- B- cold cereal, bananas and Milk, L- turkey and cheese sandwiches, carrots and milk, D- Dilled fish and Veggie packets , mashed , mashed potatoes S-yogurt and granola
Tue- B- Toast w/jelly, Cinnamon apples, milk L-Mac N Cheese w/ hot dogs,grapes and milk D- Tacos! Corn, fruit cups S- cereal bar
Wed. - B- biscuits and Gravy, eggs, milk, L- PB&J, grapes and Milk, L- Chicken Lasagna, garden salad, Garlic bread S- Gold fish
Thur. B- pancakes , milk L- grilled cheese, orange slices, milk D- Italian sausage subs, chips, pineapple chunks S-graham crackers
Fri.- B- cinnamon toast, fruit, milk L- fish fillets, tater tots, green beans, milk D- ssandwiches/wraps/leftovers S-instant pudding
Sat. B- muffins, mandarin oranges, milk L-Octopus dogs, w/ seaweed pasta. milk D-chicken gravy, biscuits, salad S-Vanilla wafers
Sun. B-Grits/ oatmeal, milk L-leftovers/wraps/sandwiches D-chicken lo-men, egg rolls, white rice S-mini bagels with cream cheese/ butter/ jelly
Dilled fish and Veggie packets
10 ounces tilapia fillets
1 cup snow peas, in pod (6 oz)
1 cup baby carrots, sliced thin lengthwise (6 oz)
1 green onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons white wine or chicken broth
2 tablespoons fat-free margarine
2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic
2-4 teaspoons dried dill
salt and pepper, to taste
. Prepare 2 18” squares of heavy duty foil by spraying lightly with non-stick spray. Arrange each fillet on a foil square. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
. Combine the peas, carrots, onion, dill, and garlic, and divide between the two foil squares, spooning over fish. Drizzle each with white wine or broth.
. Fold foil into pockets, crimping to seal.
. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until fish flakes easily and vegetables are crisp-tender.
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup evaporated milk
salt and pepper to taste
Melt the butter or margarine in a medium saucepan over
medium heat. Slowly add the flour, stirring constantly, to
form a brown roux.
3 Pour in beef broth and milk, mixing well. Add ground
beef, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
Chicken Lasagna From: Tammy's Recipes
9 lasagna noodles, cooked according to package instructions
2 Tablespoons butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 Tablespoons flour
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1 1/2 cups milk
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon basil
4 ounces cream cheese
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
8 ounces (2 cups) mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 cup cottage cheese
2 cups cooked cubed chicken
1/8 teaspoon oregano
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Saute onions and garlic until translucent. Add flour and cornstarch, stirring to mix. Add milk, pepper, salt, and basil, whisking until well mixed. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly.
2. Add cream cheese and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook and stir until cream cheese is melted. Add parmesan cheese, stirring to mix. Remove from heat.
3. In a bowl, combine 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese, the cottage cheese, and the chicken.
4. Grease an 8x8 inch baking dish. Put a layer of lasagna noodles in the bottom of the dish. Top with half of the chicken mixture. Put a layer of lasagna noodles on top of mixture. Top with half of the white sauce. Continue layering noodles, chicken, noodles, and sauce.
5. Top with remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with oregano.
6. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes, until lightly browned.
Italian sausage subs
6 to 8 green peppers, sliced in strips
6 med. onions, sliced
1 lb. mushrooms, sliced (optional)
1 1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 c. white wine/chicken broth
1 tbsp. oil
Salt and pepper to taste
(Recipe can also be prepared in 350 degree oven).
Octopus dogs, w/ seaweed pasta
You will need:
- A hot dog
- Sharp knife
Boil as normally would.
Cook spagetti/ ramen in water tinted with green food color
1 Tbsp. cornstartch_1 tsp. ginger_1/4 c. reduced sodium soy sauce_2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts_1 pkg. chicken bouillion _1/2 c. hot water_6 oz. uncooked spaghetti_2/3 c. fresh mushrooms, sliced*_2/3 c. fresh snow peas_2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided_2 tsp. sesame oil
1. Combine cornstartch, ginger and soy sauce in small bowl. Cut chicken into strips; add to soy sauce. Set aside.
2. Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
3. In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and peas in 1 Tbsp. oil for about 4 minutes. (Vegetables should still be slightly crisp.) Remove to seperate bowl and set aside.
4. In the same pan fry chicken mixture until chicken is cooked. Dissolve bouillon in hot water, add to chicken mixture. Cook and stir 1 - 2 minutes or until thickened. Add mushrooms and peas.
5. Drain spaghetti, add to skillet along with sesame oil. Cook 1 - 2 more minutes, stirring often, until hot through.